Vacancy

Vacancy

Monday, November 23, 2015

Naked in November.

He was only two years old and found wandering the streets in only his diaper in the middle of November. On call for emergency foster care we received the call to go and pick him up at the police department. I found it a bit odd that there was a tone of laughter in the officers voice but quickly brushed it off. Maybe he had just heard a funny joke.
My mind already forming a picture of this little boy naked and afraid needing to be scooped up and held. As I arrived and an officer walked me back to where the wee one was again I saw smiles. How could a small little boy naked in November have anything funny about him? Then I turned the corner and saw him. I too began to smile, a smile that still forms each time I think of him. He was HUGE! Not fat, just huge. He had been given a police t-shirt to wear that although was big still did the trick because he was huge. His size was shocking but it was his smile and the joy in his eyes that brought the smiles. He was a bundle of delight! This not so little boy joyfully ran up to me and my plan of scooping him up was so not happening. I sat down on the floor with him instead. Everything he did was big, he ate big, he played big, he laughed big. But, out of the blue he would take my hand and look up at me and say "I love you" in this tiny little soft voice. That boy will always bring a smile to my face.
Thankfully he was one of few feel-good endings. He was a wanderer and with his size was able to maneuver doorknobs and had simply decided that night he didn't want to sleep but rather he would take a little stroll.
He soon went home to a very worried and I might add, very tiny, mother.  

No comments:

Post a Comment