Vacancy

Vacancy

Monday, January 4, 2016

Financial security, Monday through Friday 9-5 days, great benefits, and comfortable living were ever so comfortable. I thoroughly enjoyed my days of shopping and soap operas as a stay at home mom and was plenty satisfied with my mundane life in the burbs. Unbeknownst to me my husband's heart was being called out of complacency and comfort and we being one were about to embark on the journey of a lifetime. 
Finishing dinner preparations with two miniature humans at my feet my husband came in from work, kissed me and said "we need to talk". The tone of his voice was serious but excited making me all the more interested. Quickly pausing dinner and placing a movie in the VCR (yes we are that old) we found a quiet moment to talk.
Listening to my husband I heard the words but more importantly I was propelled into his passionate speech taking on his excitement as my own. He felt strongly and with certainty that he was being called to be a pastor. Thinking to myself  'this should be fun and a cool next part of our journey' I was abruptly shaken from my moment of awe as he informed me that he would quit his job, make no money,and go to school, then we would be called into ministry somewhere on planet earth and we would faithfully go. 
WHAT?!?! Undoubtedly this meant the end to my shopping at Dayton's and wearing designer brands and watching brainless in my free time. Would I even have free time? Would we starve to death? Surely he had to losing his mind or under the influence. Both of which would have been explainable and nearly curable. However this was unfixable, unchangeable, unhuman; this was God. Feisty being a key word of description for me I threw a small fit before God and demanded He change his mind thus changing and moving in my husbands heart and mind and He was to do this speedily. Being a merciful and loving God He did exactly as I asked, almost. He moved speedily and changed hearts. The hearts He changed were mine and our families. This pretty much sums up how my demands end when I pull this with God. Hmm, you'd think I would learn. 
Two children in diapers, no income, preparations to sell our home in place, no daily shopping happening would have been a nightmare to me just months before. Replacing this was abundant joy and blessings overflowing had taken the place of our past daily norms. Our home church supported us during this time with all kinds of basic needs and there was not one single day we went without. I Guess God knew what He was doing after all. 
Jason finished school with flying colors and had several interviews. The farthest away from home, eighteen hours away in fact was exactly where we were supposed to be. 
Young and inexperienced we set out to single handedly save all of creation for Christ. Uh oh!! Pride alert!! 

So much more to this story.......

Oh how thankful we are to our amazing family at Fayette United Methodist Church for their patience with us and willingness to see us as moldable and usable in the learning and seeing beyond high hill we chose to stand on and fight. Magnificent lessons were learned and far too much fun was had there in Ohio! 

No comments:

Post a Comment